Awards and Recognition
Awards are used to bring attention to individuals and organizations that have distinguished themselves by exemplary performance. Awards are measures of success that declare achievements to be above normal levels of performance in a given area.
The following list highlights some of our awards and recognitions achieved by individuals and organizations of The City of Valley.
- Received 2010 Best Theme Award for the City's Cottom Mill Reunion that was a part of the Alabama Bureau of Tourism and Travel's Year of Downtowns and Small Towns Event
- Received 2008 Preserve America Community designation by the Preserve America Initiative
- 2006 Ace Award for Alabama Community of Excellence
- Certified Local Government (CLG) awarded in 1996 by Alabama State Historical Commission
- Outstanding Planning Program award in 2000 presented by the Alabama Chapter of the American Planning Association
- The City of Valley was presented the 1st Tree City Award by the Alabama Urban Forestry Association in 1998.
- In 1999, the Fairfax, Langdale, Riverview, and Shawmut Historic Districts were placed on the National Register Of Historic Districts by the United States Department of the Interior.
- The Alabama League of Municipalities presented a Silver Safety Risk Management Award which notes exemplary safe conduct in conducting business, to the City of Valley in 2002.
- The Valley Historic Preservation Commission was presented the Alabama Historical Commission Distinguished Service Award in 2002.
- Feature article at online Community Arts Network Reading Room