April 10th City Council MeetingUser: webmaster
Date: 4/12/2017 8:46 am
Rating: 0 Rate [ | ]
The Valley City Council held its first regular scheduled meeting of April on Monday, April 10th, 2017, in the Council Chambers at Valley City Hall.
Mayor Leonard Riley called the meeting to order at 6:00PM. The invocation was given by Councilmember Randall Maddux and Councilmember Marquetta Madden led the Pledge of Allegiance.
Councilmembers Jim Jones, Lana Wiggins and Jimmy Gilson were absent.
The April 10th financial audit report for the city was given as follows:
- Checking account previous balance.................. $4,867,644.16
- Total deposits all funds............................................ $233,623.64
- Total expenditures all funds.................................... $374,407.44
- Total on-hand all funds......................................... $4,726,860.36
The following occurred during the Mayor’s Communications
- A public hearing was called for the next council meeting to confirm costs of abatement of the following properties:
- 2207 67th Street
- 701 Spring Street
- 102 Dena Drive
- A proclamation declaring April as Fair Housing Month in Valley was read by the mayor
- A proclamation declaring April 30th – May 6th as “Hike/Bike/Run Week” in the City of Valley was presented to Sam Bradford, representing Valley Haven School
- Kay M. Baker, Executive Director Tri-County Children’s Advocacy Center thanked the city for its support and spoke about an up-coming fund raiser at the Valley Community Center
- Ashley Crane, Executive Director Greater Valley Area Chamber of Commerce gave the Chamber’s quarterly report to council
The following actions were taken by the city council at the April 10th meeting:
- Approved the minutes from the March 27th, 2017, council meeting
- Approved the minutes from the April 6th, 2017, called council meeting
- Accepted the April 10th financial audit report
- Approved unanimously the following Resolutions on the Consent Agenda:
- Resolution 17-045R declaring property at 4040 Columbus Road as a public nuisance and authorizing the abatement of the nuisance
- Resolution 17-046R declaring property at 4002 23rd Avenue as a public nuisance and authorizing the abatement of the nuisance
- Resolution 17-047R declaring property at 281416th Avenue as a public nuisance and authorizing the abatement of the nuisance
- Resolution 17-048R declaring property at 505 Wellington Street as a public nuisance and authorizing the abatement of the nuisance
- Resolution 17-049R declaring the third full weekend in July as Sales Tax Holiday for certain non-commercial purchases relating to school clothing and supplies
- Approved unanimously Resolution 17-050R authorizing Planning and Development Director Travis Carter to attend and bid on 6 specific properties at the County Delinquent Tax Sale
- Passed Ordinance 17-02 approving the sale of surplus city property, 270 Johnson Street, to the Chambers County Board of Education for $4,962.45
The mayor announced a public hearing would be held after the council meeting to discuss the East Alabama Planning Commission Comprehensive Plan for the city and a work session would be held Thursday, April 13, at 6PM in the conference room of Valley City Hall.
Mayor Riley adjourned the council meeting at 6:30PM on this the 10th day of April 2017.