September 12th City Council MeetingUser: webmaster
Date: 9/15/2016 8:21 am
Rating: 0 Rate [ | ]
The Valley City Council held its first meeting of September on Monday, September 12, 2016, in the Council Chambers at Valley City Hall.
Mayor Leonard Riley called the meeting to order at 6:00PM. The invocation was given by Councilmember Jimmy Gilson and Councilmember Paul Story led the Pledge of Allegiance.
All members were present.
During the mayor’s communications the following occurred:
- Mayor Riley introduced John Boles of Himmelwright, Huguley, and Boles, the city’s accounting firm, who reported on the city’s 2015 audit. Mr. Boles said, “It’s a very good one. We’ve given it an unmodified opinion, something we wouldn’t have given several years ago. From a control standpoint and from a financial standpoint things are now better than they were before. You have a very healthy net position.”
- The appointment of Lamar Langford to the Valley Historic Preservation Commission
- The appointment of Suzie Britt as an alternate to the Board of Adjustments
- Announcement of a public hearing on Rezoning Property at 3182, 3162, 3154, 3136 Columbus Road and 1038, 1048, and 1058 Mapp Road from R2 Medium Density Residential to R4 Medium Density Residential to be held at the September 26 Council Meeting
The September 12th financial audit report for the city was given as follows:
- Checking account previous balance.................. $4,528,302.87
- Total deposits all funds........................................ $1,067,869.90
- Total expenditures all funds................................ $1,581,708.32
- Total on-hand all funds........................................ $4,014,464.45
The following actions were taken by the city council at the September 12th meeting:
- Approved the minutes from the August 22nd and August 30th, 2016, council meetings
- Accepted the September 12th financial audit report
- Approved unanimously the following items in the Consent Agenda
- Resolution 2016-110 approving the vacating of a portion of Fairlane Drive
- Resolutions 2016-111R through 2016-127R imposing liens on property cleaned by the city to bring the property into compliance with the City’s Property Maintenance Code
- Approved by a 7-1 vote Resolution 16-128R modifying the city’s Personnel Policy regarding the use of accrued sick leave by full-time city employees who have retired and want to continue working part-time with the city.
- Approved unanimously Resolution 16-129R awarding his service weapon and badge to Captain Mike Cox who is retiring after 25 years with the city
- Approved unanimously Resolution 16-130R authorizing the mayor to enter into agreement with JMCM Consulting to prepare the necessary documents for 2 FEMA grants for the 2016 Firefighter Grant Program
- Approved unanimously Resolution 16-131R amending the contract with Hand Holding Company for the conditional sale of the Langdale Mill property
- Heard the first reading of Resolution 16-132R authorizing the development of an industrial park in the City of Valley
- Approved unanimously Resolution 16-133R rejecting the only bid received by the city for tree cutting and authorizing the mayor to negotiate the bid for a lower price
- Suspended the rules and passed on its first reading, Ordinance 2016-11 approving the lease of space in the Public Works Complex to the Fifth Judicial Circuit Multi-Jurisdictional Task Force
Council adjourned at 6:47PM.