Skip to main content

City of Valley FAQs

Find your Department or Topic Below for More Information

Police Department

  1. How can I get a copy of a police report?
    You must go to the Police Department, 20 Fob James Dr., and request a copy of the report. The Records Department is open 8:00am-5:00pm EST Monday – Friday. Requests for reports by mail will be honored when payment is included in the request. Checks or money orders should be made payable to the City of Valley.
  2. Who do I call for animal complaints, loud noise nuisance and small fires/burning nuisance?

    Call 334-756-5200 for assistance.

City Hall

  1. How do I obtain a public record?
    Public record requests may be obtained by calling the Valley City Clerk at 334-756-5223 to obtain the necessary form.
  2. How do I purchase an Animal License?
    An animal license may be obtained at City Hall. You must have documentation that your animal vaccinations are up to date.
  3. Do the Mayor and Council Members have an office at City Hall?
    The Mayor, while it is not a full-time position, does have an office at City Hall. The Council positions are also part-time but they do not have an office at City Hall.
  4. Where can I get a copy of the Council Agenda?
    You may obtain a copy of the Council Agenda from the CIty Clerk or from the CIty website.

Planning & Development

  1. How do I obtain a building permit?
  2. Am I required to obtain a permit before I clear a lot for a new house?
    Yes, the Zoning Ordinance requires that you obtain a Zoning Permit before you begin work on any addition to your house.
  3. Can I get a permit application on-line?
  4. Can I place a mobile home in the city limits of Valley?
    No. Mobile homes are not allowed in the City of Valley, but Manufactured Homes are allowed in specific zoning districts. Please, check with the Planning and Development Department on the areas that allow Manufactured Homes.
  5. Can I place a Utility Building or other structure on my property?
  6. Do I need a permit to add a room to my home?
  7. Do I need a permit to build a fence on my lot?
  8. Do I need a permit to place a sign on my business?
  9. How long does it take to get a piece of property rezoned?
    Nine to ten weeks, depending on when the rezoning application is received in our office.
  10. If I apply for rezoning on a piece of property, is it certain to be approved?
    No, the Planning Commission will hold a public hearing on the issue, and if they approve the request, it will be placed before the City Council for their approval or disapproval.
  11. Is there a charge for a rezoning request?
    Yes, a $100.00 non-refundable fee is due when the application is returned to the Planning and Development Department. This fee covers the cost of the required legal advertisements.
  12. Who do I call concerning cemetery issues such as high grass?

    Call Colby Conway, Cemetery Sexton, at 334-756-0323.

  13. How do I purchase a grave site or find an existing grave in the City of Valley?

    Call Colby Conway, Cemetery Sexton, at 334-756-0323.

  14. What are the rules and regulations of the cemetery?

    Cemetery Rules

  15. What requires a building permit?
  16. Who do I call for street lights that are out?

    Call the Planning and Development office at 334-756-5226.


  1. How much is a membership at the Valley Community Center?
  2. Do I have to pay for my membership for a year?
    Memberships can be paid by the year or you can set up an automatic bank draft. Come by the Valley Community Center for the paperwork.
  3. How do I register my child for sports?
    Registration is available at the Valley Community Center.
  4. How do I rent a facility for an event?
  5. How do I find out about activities and events through the Recreation Department?
  6. When is the season of the Historic Langdale Mill Farmer’s Market?
    The Historic Langdale Mill Farmer’s Market is located at the Farmer’s Market Pavilion, 6000 20th Ave. It is open from sometime in May until August/September, depending on what and how much the farmer’s have available. Facebook page: Historic Langdale Mill Farmer’s Market.
  7. Does the Valley Recreation Department have swimming programs?
    Valley Recreation Department has both a swim team and offers swim lessons year round. It is also the home of the Valley High School Swim Team and Point University Swim Team. Call 334-756-5290 for more information.
  8. What type of Fitness classes/programs are offered?

Senior Center

  1. Do I have to be a resident of Valley to attend the Valley Senior Center?
    You have to be a resident to participate in the lunch. You do not have to be a resident to participate in other activities which include games, table tennis, and the state-wide Masters Games.
  2. What are the rules of the Valley Senior Center?

Public Works

  1. How do I report a problem to the Public Works Department?
    A public works problem can be reported by going to the Public Works page, clicking on the Work Order link, and completing the form. You may also call 334-756-5209.
  2. Who do I report issues to such as potholes, drainage issues, mosquito spraying and down street signs?
    Call 334-756-5209 or visit the Public Works page and click on Work Order.

Environmental Services / Solid Waste

  1. How are payments made?
    Payments may be made at or by calling 1-888-538-5617.
    Addionally, payments can be made at City Hall Monday-Friday from 8am – 5pm; mailed to P.O. Box 186, Valley, AL 36854; left in the drop box outside of the front of City Hall, or made by bank draft.
  2. How do I arrange for a bank draft?
    Application forms are available at CIty Hall. You must provide a voided check.
  3. What items cannot be disposed of through this service?
    Hazardous items such as cans of paint, tires, batteries, and any type of construction materials or debris.
  4. How do I cancel a service?
    A service may be cancelled if you move away from the area bringing a valid ID to City Hall and filling out a cancellation form.
  5. What is the weekly debris pick-up limit?
    The limit is 10 cubic yards, or 6’x6’x6’.
  6. Who do I call for junky yards including trash and junk cars?
    Call Environmental Services at 334-756-5234.
  7. Who do I call for high grass or tree nuisance?
    Call Environmental Services at 334-756-5234.


  1. Where can I renew my driver’s license?
    Driver’s License renewals are available at the Chambers County Annex, 610 S Gilmer Ave, Lanett, AL 36863.
  2. Where can I pay my property taxes?
    Property taxes can be paid at the Chambers County Annex, 610 S Gilmer Ave, Lanett, AL 36863.
  3. Where can I get a Birth Certificate?
    You may obtain a birth certificate at the Chambers County Health Department, 5 Medical Park, Valley, AL 36854; 334-756-0758
  4. Where can I purchase a tag?
    Tags may be obtained at the Chambers County Courthouse Annex, 610 S Gilmer Ave, Lanett, AL 334-644-7068 36863.
  5. Where do I pay my utilities such as gas, water, and power?
    Please Visit Our Utilities Page for more information.
  6. What internet and/or cable services are available in Valley?
    Please Visit Our Utilities Page for more information.
  7. Who do I call for water leaks, sewer problems, large fires, or burn permits. East Alabama Water, Sewer, and Fire Protection.
    Please Visit Our Utilities Page for more information.
  8. Who do I call for down power lines and power outages? Alabama Power
    Please Visit Our Utilities Page for more information.
  9. Who do I call for gas leaks/odors or gas line inspections?